Christchurch Central Library
Contractor/Installer: Smith City Commercial
Turanga is the largest public library in Christchurch, New Zealand. It opened in October 2018 and replaced the Christchurch Central Library that was damaged from the 2011 earthquakes. The 5-story facility is the flagship for the Christchurch City Libraries network and welcomes approximately 3000 visitors each day. But beyond its aesthetic appeal, the $92 million building has become a focal point for students, families and community groups with some saying it’s now the ‘city’s living room.’ Turanga manager, Chris Hay, said that the ‘Vision of the library is for community resources to particularly have a focus on equity of access and opportunity for everyone.’ With word from locals, the buzz around town, social media comments and media, it is clear that the socially significant building is already well loved by Christchurch.
In conjunction with Jacobsens flooring, Tredsafe supplied the stairnosings, trims and Connexx entrance matting for the library. Two sets of AA231 have been used on each step and each profile has two 13mm Neutral Black inserts.
Tredsafe AA231 aluminum stairnosings with Neutral Black insert on the main set of stairs
Connexx matting used in the entrance way of the library
The project has already won various awards such as:
- NZIA Canterbury Architecture Award – Public Architecture 2019
- NZIA Canterbury Architecture Award – Interior Architecture 2019
- NZIA Canterbury Architecture Award – Resene Colour Award 2019
- Property Council Rider Levett Bucknall Industry Awards Best in Category – Civc and Arts 2019
- Property Council Rider Levett Bucknall Industry Awards – Supreme Award 2019
60 Cathedral Square, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch